Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Morning at the Observatory

Observatory

Very early Friday morning my future step daughter and I had a chance to go to the observatory at Jackson Middle School in Champlin, MN. We saw the LCROSS crash into the moon through their 14 inch telescope and also watched it simulcast with NASA on a big screen TV.  The LCROSS mission was so NASA could test to see if there is any moisture on the moon.  Even though it took some effort to wake her at 5:00 AM, both of us found it fascinating to watch this event take place. 

4 comments:

  1. That is REALLY cool. I bet that would have been neat to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great opportunity to see this. Cool perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was there along with the photographer, and he captured the scene in a way that my eyes totally did not. Very nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool, that would have been fun. Next time we all get together I'll try to remember to bring my 600mm mirror lens.

    Does the school have other public astronomical events?
    - M

    ReplyDelete